We are hiring 2 Assistant Growers for the 2018 season. Shopkeeper and Field Crew positions will be posted at a later date.
Barrett’s Mill Farm 2018 Assistant Grower
Barrett’s Mill Farm is seeking 2 Assistant Growers for the 2018 season to work directly with the two farm manager/owners as well as summer part-time staff.
About Barrett’s Mill Farm
Barrett's Mill Farm is a certified organic vegetable and fruit farm located on town-owned land in Concord, Massachusetts. The farm is 15 acres and includes over 1 acre of perennial crops (asparagus, gooseberries and blueberries). We sell the large majority of our produce through our farm stand and our CSA. In our fifth season we plan to increase our CSA and Bucks credit program size to 275 members. We provide free CSA shares and donate produce to a number of local non-profits, and we also offer reduced price memberships as part of the SNAP CSA program.
- Work with the farm team on day-to-day field and greenhouse tasks, including seeding, transplanting, mulching, hand weeding, hoeing, irrigation, harvesting, and farm store set-up and clean-up.
- Regular independent work includes greenhouse watering, light carpentry and maintenance projects, assisting with store stocking, and at least one day per week washing and other post-harvest vegetable handling.
- Candidates with prior farming experience or who stay on for a second season would also have the opportunity to take on higher responsibility tasks like tractor work, leading part-time workers and volunteers in regular farm tasks, or managing the greenhouse or harvests.
- A positive attitude, good sense of humor and a strong work ethic are essential qualities for this position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work efficiently independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team.
- Organized and attentive to detail.
- Punctual. Reliable transportation to the farm is essential as on-farm housing is not available.
- Experience working outdoors in all types of weather and/or experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- Prior farming experience is not required but it is a plus.
- Tuesday – Saturday, 7am – 4pm during busiest season (schedule will vary slightly seasonally)
- April – early November
- Assistant Growers who stay on for a second season will have the possibility of additional hours in March and until Thanksgiving.
- We can be somewhat flexible about start and end dates, but full-time availability by May is a must
- Pay starts at $12.50/hour. Fifteen minute morning break is paid, 1 hour lunch break is unpaid.
- Assistant Growers who commit to the full season will be eligible for 1 week paid vacation after completing 12 weeks of employment in good standing.
- Assistant Growers will receive a CSA share, plus extra veggies as available.
- Participation in EMass CRAFT farm visits.
Please not that Assistant Growers are responsible for finding their own housing as we do not have on-farm housing.
To apply, please send a resume, letter of interest and 2-3 references to Lise Holdorf at email@example.com